Nadan Chicken Curry / Kerala Chicken Curry
Nadan Chicken Curry
Kerala style spicy Chicken curry.
Cooking Time: 50 to 60 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Chicken,medium pieces- 600 to 700 gms
- Ginger,finely chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Garlic ,finely chopped – 1.5 tsp
- Green chilies,cut vertically – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Shallots,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Onion ,sliced – 2 cups ( 2 large)
- Coconut,sliced – 1/4 to 1/3 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1.5 tbsp(see notes)
- Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
- Tomato ,chopped – 1/2 cup( 1 medium)
- Water – as required
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – as required
- Kashmiri chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger -garlic paste – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water -2 to 3 tsp
- In a bowl add the chicken along with the all the ingredients listed under ' for marination'.Keep aside for about 20 to 30 minutes.Heat oil a manchatti/clay pot.Add garlic,ginger, green
chilies ,curry leaves and shallots
- Saute until shallots turn soft.Next add onion and mix well.
- Add coconut slices and saute until onion turns soft and golden brown.( for about 20 to 25 minutes over medium low flame.Add 2 to 3 tbsp of water in between so as to avoid burning)
- Now reduce the flame to low, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri chili powder and garam masala powder.Mix well until combined.
- Add tomato and mix well until combined.Cook over medium flame until tomato turns mushy.
- Next add the marinated chicken.Add more salt if required.Mix well.
- Add sufficient quantity of water.Stir gently,cover and cook until chicken is tender.(Make sure you stir well in between to avoid burning)
- Uncover and cook until the gravy turns slightly thick.Switch off the stove and add more curry leaves and drizzle 1 tsp coconut oil on top.Serve with rice / appam /chapathi.
- I used 2 tbsp Kashmiri chili powder as we wanted it really spicy.Adjust the amount of Kashmiri chili powder according to your taste.