Cantonese Sweet-and-Sour Pork
1 pound pork
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Red pepper
1 Green pepper
1 large onion
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons tomato puree
3 Tablespoons vinegar
3 Tablespoons cold water
1½ cups oil
- Cut the pork into 1” cubes.
- Mix the egg and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch.
- Dip the pork into the cornstarch/egg mixture to coat.
- Cut peppers and onion in 1 ½” triangular pieces.
- Mix the sugar, soy sauce, tomato puree, and vinegar; set aside.
- Mix 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and water; set aside.
- Heat oil and deep-fry pork in two batches, 5 to 6 minutes each; remove and set aside.
- Remove all but 1 Tablespoon of oil from wok and stir-fry the vegetables for 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce/tomato mixture and stir-fry 1 more minute.
- Remix cornstarch/water mixture and add to soy sauce/tomato mixture; stir until it thickens.
- Add the cooked pork, stir-fry 1 more minute, and serve.
You can add pineapple chunks if you desire.