1. 1 cup half-inch cubes almost ripe mago (with skin removed).
2. 2 dsp. gingelly oil.
3. 1 tsp. urad dhal, 1 tsp. rice, 1/8 tsp. fenugreek seeds, 1 small piece of asafoetida, a few curry leaves.
4. 1 dsp. roasted chilli powder. 1/2 dsp. roasted coriander powder.
5. 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder.
6. 1/4 tsp. mustard seeds.
7. 1 red chilli, broken into small pieces.
8. 2 cups of tamarind water. salt – to taste.
9. Molasses to taste
Fry the ingredients in item 3 in 1 dsp. of gingelly oil. Then grind it along with chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder to a fine paste.
Heat 1 dsp. of oil and fry mustard and chilli. Then add the ground masala and saute on a low flame till it is roasted and the oil separates. Add tamarind water and allow it to boil. When it boils add the mango pieces and salt. Boil till the mango is cooked. Add the molasses to the gravy to control the taste. When the curry is fairly thick, remove from fire. Keep the vessel open till it becomes cold. Afterwards close the vessel.