Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
Suran – 1 cup, fresh or frozen (peel and chopped in julienne strips if fresh)
Carrots – 1 cup, julienne strips
Green Beans – 1 cup, cut into 1 inch pieces
Tindora – 1 cup, cut into long strips
Winter Melon (Ash Gourd) – 1 cup, cut into long 1 inch pieces.
Yellow Pumpkin – 1 cup, cut into long 1 inch pieces
Plantain – 1 cup, cut into long 1 inch pieces (do not peel)
Drumsticks – (if available)
Coconut Oil – 1 Tbsp
Water – 1/2 to 1 cup as needed
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder – optional, to taste
Yogurt – 1 cup
Shredded Coconut – 1 cup
Green Chilies – to taste
Cumin Seeds – 1 Tbsp
Salt – to taste
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut Oil – drizzle for garnishing
1. Heat Coconut Oil in a large pan.
2. Once hot, add in all of the vegetables and mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add 1/2 cup of water and Turmeric Powder.
4. Mix well, cover and cook until veggies are tender but not mushy (keep stirring in between).
5. While the veggies are cooking, grind the following to a smooth paste: Yogurt, Coconut, Green Chilies, Onion (or Shallot) Cumin Seeds.
6. Once the veggies are cooked, add the Yogurt/Coconut mixture, Salt and mix well.
7. Reduce the flame to low and allow it to come to a slow boil.
8. Switch off the stove, add Curry Leaves and a drizzle of Coconut and mix through. Cover again and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
9. Traditionally served with rice but can be had with chapatis.