Kaya Varuthathu | Ethakka Upperi | Banana Chips- Onam Sadhya Recipe
Kerala Banana chips
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 3 to 4 cups
- Raw plantains Ethakkaya – 750 gms( 4 to 5 medium)
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Water- as required
- Salt- as required
- Vegetable oil /Coconut oil- for deep frying
- Peel the plantains and soak in water mixed with turmeric powder.Keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the plantains and pat them dry.Slice them into thin rounds using a slicer or a knife.
- Mix salt with 1/4 cup water, keep aside until required.Heat oil in a deep wok or uruli over medium high heat.Add 1 or 2 handfuls of sliced plantain, reduce the flame to medium and stir frequently using a slotted spoon to avoid clumping.(When you add sliced plantains into the hot oil, it may turn frothy and boil over ,so make sure you use a really deep wok/pan.Fill oil only up to 1/3 rd the volume of the wok/pan.)
- Fry until it turns slightly crisp ( i.e half done).Now reduce the flame to low and carefully sprinkle 1 or 2 tsp of the salt solution.(Do this carefully as the hot oil may splash.)
- After few seconds, stir gently and fry over medium flame until the chips turn crisp.Drain onto a clean kitchen towel.Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Use coconut oil for best results .