PUFF PASTRY RECIPE| Step by step recipe
Puff Pastry Recipe
Learn how to make buttery, light and flaky puff pastry sheets from scratch.
Cooking Time: 20to 25 minutes
Prep Time: 3 to 4 hours
Makes: 3 sheets
Recipe adapted from Vahrevah.com
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups(+ extra to for dusting)
- Butter(cold )- 3/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Vinegar – few drops
- Water – as required
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together all-purpose flour, salt and 2 tsp butter.Mix well using your fingertips until well combined.
- Add vinegar and sufficient quantity of water to form a smooth and soft dough.Place the butter between two sheets of parchment paper and tap with a rolling pin or any heavy object to form a 1/2" thick sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a 1/2" thick circle.Sprinkle some flour on top.
- Place the sheet of butter in the center of the circle and carefully fold the sides over it to cover the butter completely.( Make sure the butter is cold ,but pliable)
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to form 1/2" thick rectangle.
- Fold the left one third of the dough over the center one third.Finally fold the right one third portion over it ,as shown in the picture.Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat the rolling and folding process 5 to 6 times.If at any point ,butter starts popping out through the dough ,just sprinkle that spot with some flour ,gently pat and continue rolling.Make sure you cover the folded dough with plastic wrap and chill it for atleast 20 minutes after each folding process.
- After the final rolling ,cover the dough with pastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour or overnight.
- Cut the dough into three equal portions and roll each portion into a 1/4 " thick rectangle.Cut this into required shapes and bake at 200Deg C until light and golden.( or use in any recipe caling for puff pastry sheets).
- Recipes using puff pastry sheets-