Boondi Laddu | Step by Step Recipe
Boondi Laddu- Popular Indian sweet made with gram flour.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 10 to 12 laddus
- Cashew nuts,chopped – 2 tsp
- Raisins – 2 tsp
- Cardamon – 3 to 4
- Besan / Gram flour – 1 cup
- Baking Soda – 1 pinch
- Salt – 1 pinch
- Water – 1/2 to 3/4 cup(as required)
- Cloves,lightly crushed – 2 to 3
- Kalkandam /sugar candy – 2 tsp
- Ghee- as required
For Sugar syrup:
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Heat ghee in a pan ,add cashew nuts and fry until it turns golden,Now add the raisins and fry for few seconds.Drain and keep aside until required.Powder the cardamom seeds using a mortar and pestle,keep aside.
- In a bowl combine together besan , baking soda and salt.Add sufficient quantity of water and mix well to form a smooth batter.The batter should not be too thick or too thin.(If the batter is too thin the boondis will turn out flat.If the batter is too thick it may result in boondis with tails.To check the consistency , dip the back of a spoon in the batter and hold it over the hot oil, if the resulting boodis are round shaped then you have the right consistency of the batter.)
- Heat oil in a deep pan.To check if the oil is hot enough,dip the back of a small spoon in the batter and hold it over the oil, if the drop of batter floats to the top immediately, then it is hot enough for frying the boondis.To fry the boondis hold a perforated spoon over the oil and pour a ladleful of the batter into it. ( do not hold the perforated spoon too close to the oil, if you do so you may get boondis with tails.)Wipe the ladle well using a kitchen towel,before making the next batch boondies.
- Stir the boondis using a ladle to ensure even cooking.It should be slightly crispy on the outside and soft inside.ie when you hold it between your fingers it should be firm.When you press it gently it should feel soft in between your fingers.Once it is ready,drain onto a clean kitchen towel using a slotted spoon.Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Take 1/3 rd of the prepared boondis in a blender and pulse them, a couple of times.Keep aside.
- Now prepare the sugar syrup.Heat sugar and water in a pan.Cook this sugar mixture over a medium low flame until it reaches single thread consistency.To check this, take a drop of the sugar syrup between your thumb and index finger and pull gently,if a single thread is formed the sugar syrup is ready.( Note: The sugar syrup will be very hot.) .Once the sugar syrup is ready.Switch off the stove, add the cardamom powder and cloves,stir well.
- Now add the fries boondis, crushed boonies, fried cashew nuts and raisins, sugar candies /kalkandam and 1 tsp ghee ( optional).Mix well until combined.Allow to cool slightly.
- When it is warm enough to handle, take about 2 tbsp of the boondi mixture and squeeze it tightly to form a ball.Repeat with the remaining mixture.Once it cools down completely it will become firm.Store in an airtight container for upto 3 days or refrigerate for up to a week.
- Make sure you shape the laddus while it is still warm.
- You may also add few strands of saffron to the sugar syrup if desired.