VANILLA AND CHOCOLATE LAYER PUDDING
Vanilla and chocolate layer pudding
Vanilla and chocolate milk pudding using condensed milk.
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4 to 5
- Milk – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 1/2 of a 400 gms tin
- Sugar- 1 or 2 tbsp ( according to taste)
- Unflavored powdered gelatin- 2.5 tsp( to substitute Agar Agar for powdered gelatin,see notes )
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Hot water- 1/2 cup
- Grated chocolate – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract- 1/2 tsp
- Grated chocolate – for garnishing,if required
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup water and let soften for 5 minutes.Add this to 1/2 cup hot water and mix well until gelatin is completely dissolved .
- In a saucepan ,over medium heat ,bring the milk,condensed milk and sugar just to a simmer.Turn off the heat and add the melted gelatin and mix well.
- Divide the hot milk mixture into two and add the grated chocolate to one half and mix well until combined.
- Add vanilla extract into the other half and mix well until combined.Allow both the chocolate and vanilla mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature.Slowly pour 2 to 3 tbsp of the vanilla mixture into the serving bowls/glasses.Place the glasses in the freezer for about 5 minutes or until the vanilla layer is just set.
- Carefully pour the 2 to 3 tbsp of the chocolate mixture over the vanilla layer and place in the freezer for about 5 minutes or until the chocolate layer is just set.Repeat until you have used up all the vanilla and chocolate mixture.Chill for about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until completely set.Garnish with grated chocolate,if desired.
- Soak 2 tbsp agar agar flakes or 2.5 tsp agar agar powder in 3/4 cup water for about 15 to 20 minutes.Add this to the milk,sugar and condensed milk mixture and bring it to a boil, simmer for 2 minutes.Switch off the stove and divide the mixture into two, add the grated chocolate into one-half and vanilla extract to the other. To keep the mixture warm, place each bowl over a pot of simmering water.Slowly pour 2 to 3 tbsp of the vanilla mixture into the serving bowls/glasses.Leave to set slightly(if it is completely set then the layers won't stick to each other).Next add the chocolate mixture and leave to set.Repeat with the remaining vanilla and chocolate mixture.Chill for about 30 minutes and serve.