Kerala style, spicy mutton roast with coconut.
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2 to 3
- Mutton,cut into medium pieces- 400 to 500 gms
- Ginger,juliened – 1 and 1/2"piece
- Garlic,sliced – 3 large cloves
- Coconut,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Shallots,sliced- 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves- 1 or 2 sprigs
- Green chilies,sliced – 1 or 2( according to taste)
- Garam masala powder – 1/8 to 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder,freshly ground – 1/4 tsp( optional)
- Coconut Oil – as required
- Salt – to atse
To roast and grind:
- Black peppercorns- 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder – 1.5 tsp to 2 tsp( according to taste)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Corinader powder – 1.5 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies ,sliced – 2
- Shallots,sliced – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Salt- to taste
- Dry roast the ingredients listed under " to roast and grind" ( black peppercorns and fennel seeds) for about 30 seconds ,stirring continuously.
- Grind this to a coarse powder with mortar and pestle.
- In a pressure cooker ,add the mutton along with all the ingredients listed under " for marination".Add the prepared black pepper – fennel powder.Mix well until combined.Keep aside for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook the marinated mutton until it is tender.( Alternatively use a heavy bottomed pan and cook covered for about 40 to 50 minutes.)
- Next,heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add mustard seeds ,let it splutter.Next add the ginger and garlic ,saute for about 30 seconds.
- Next add the sliced coconut,shallots,curry leaves and green chilies.Saute until shallots turn golden.
- Now add the cooked mutton and mix well.Add more salt if required.
- Add garam masala and cook over medium-low flame stirring well in between until it turns dark brown in color.( Make sure you scrape the bottom of the pan to help loosen the browned bits.)
- Add freshly ground black pepper( if using), mix well .Serve with rice , pulav ,pathiri or chapathi .
- Adjust the amount of black pepper and green chilies according to your taste.